My love for Spring.
Spring is my favourite season. The evenings are lighter, days are warmer and the food becomes healthier. It seems so difficult to eat fruit and salad in the winter, so I’m glad Spring is finally here! I also love seasonal foods. It’s always fun creating new dishes using ingredients that are only available for a short period of time. One of my favourite ingredients has just come into season – wild garlic. I know now is the best time to eat asparagus too, which is why I put it in my pasta dish, but you can get it all year round now so it doesn’t feel as exciting cooking with it.
Last Friday, Tom had to go to London so I asked him to pick me some wild garlic from Borough Market. I got some from there last year, as well as some wild garlic mayo which was divine. Unfortunately, they didn’t have the mayo this year, but they did have a pesto so Tom got me some of that and a bunch of wild garlic. Foraging is something I have never done, but would love to give it a go. I wish I had taken a picture of it, but I was too eager to make dinner! The bunch was tied up with some string and it looked so cute! I want to go to Borough Market soon as it really is a foodie’s paradise there. I didn’t want to wait too long to use it, so made a pasta dish with it last night. And it was bloody delicious.
The recipe makes 4 portions – I made extra as I wanted the leftovers for my lunch today! And it was still yummy heated up in a microwave.
Prep time – 10 minutes.
Cooking time – 30 minutes.
- 200g smoked bacon lardons.
- A packet of asparagus tips, chopped.
- 1 large bunch wild garlic, finely chopped.
- 100g wild garlic pesto (it’s just normal green pesto with wild garlic added).
- 1 medium brown onion, finely diced.
- 1 yellow pepper, finely diced.
- 1 tsp lazy garlic – because you can never have enough garlic.
- 1/2 tsp lazy chilli.
- Large handful freshly chopped parsley.
- 100g finely diced chorizo.
- 100g halved cherry tomatoes.
- 100g mascarpone.
- Freshly grated parmesan.
- Salt and pepper to taste.
- 100g cooked pasta per person.
- In a large pan, add the chorizo and bacon lardons. You won’t need oil as they will produce their own.
- After 5 minutes, add the onion, garlic, pepper and lazy chilli to the same pan. Sauté on a medium heat for a further 5 minutes. The vegetables should begin to soften. Season with pepper. I didn’t add salt because of the bacon.
- In the meantime, put on a large saucepan of water to bring to the boil for the pasta.
- Add the asparagus and cherry tomatoes to the vegetables and meat. Turn the heat down low. Allow to simmer.
- When the water begins to boil, season with salt and add the pasta. Cook for 10 minutes.
- While the pasta is cooking, add the chopped parsley and wild garlic to the vegetables.
- Before draining the cooked pasta, add a ladle of the pasta water to the vegetables. This will create a silky sauce. Drain the pasta and add to the vegetables.
- Finally, add the pesto and mascarpone now the pasta is cooked. Stir thoroughly. Serve with a sprinkling of fresh parmesan.