Now we’re into a new month, I thought it would be a good idea to jot down some goals that I want to achieve. I actually really like February because it’s such a short month and then it’s pretty much Spring time! January, for me this year, really wasn’t that bad. I remember really struggling mentally last January as it seemed to go on forever and I just wasn’t in a good place so I was absolutely dreading this year. But it flew by, probably because we had Paris to look forward to and we bought a puppy so we got to go and see him every week which was lovely.
I think the best thing for me this month will be to set myself goals. I work well to deadlines, but if I don’t set myself any, I struggle to motivate myself to get anything done. Take last week for instance – at the beginning of the week, I did quite well at being productive, and getting done what I needed. But Wednesday came and it was the worst day and I struggled to get going again until Friday when I had a really useful meeting with someone. At the weekend, Tom and I went to IKEA (which as an adult, is the best place in the world), and got me a new desk. Our old one was in the spare room and I HATED working in there. It felt so out of the way, so the new one is now downstairs and I love it! It’s my own space that I don’t have to share and I’m really comfortable sitting here working.
- Practice mindfulness. I know that this sounds cliched, but Tom got me this lovely jar for Christmas full of exercises and I haven’t used it yet, mainly because I want to keep it up and not do it sporadically, but also because it looks so pretty I don’t want to open it!
- Research food trends and write an article to try and get published. It’s my dream to write about food. It’s the thing I’m most passionate about and I think knowledgable about.
- Read. I’m sure I say this all the time, but I really need to take more time out to read. Once I’m engrossed, I finish books so quickly and it gives me a good excuse to write a new blog post.
- Cook one new recipe a week. Again, food related but sometimes I have lulls in creativity in the kitchen and I stick to old favourites or easy meals. I’ve got a couple of recipes in mind, so I really want to do them.
- Instagram. Blimey it’s hard work building up a following. It’s so annoying when people follow you to just get a follow back for them to just unfollow you the next day. It’s just rude. Just follow accounts because you want to see their content, not to just have an extra number. I’ve been working hard on it the past couple of weeks and it’s been amazing having good support from the Twitter community.
- Freelancing. I know it takes time, but I’m really hoping I can get two or three commissions by the end of the month.
- Hendricks. Hendricks, our beautiful puppy, is coming home in 13 days and I want him to feel loved and happy with us. I know the first couple of days will be tough as he will be frightened, but I’m really excited to get him and give him an awesome life.
- Gym. I bloody hate going, but I lost 5lb last week and would love to just lose 1lb a week. I definitely eat better, but the best thing for me is to exercise. I have been quite disciplined, going four times last week, my aim is to make it five this week. I do have a rule though – after Friday morning, no more gym until the Monday! Weekends are for fun, gin and good food.
That’s it. I’m hoping I will reach all my goals and will try and keep myself motivated to achieve them.