Earlier in the week our oven stopped working which meant I had to cook everything on the hob. One of the meals i planned to do was with salmon. Usually with salmon, we just bake it and have it with potatoes and salad, just because it’s easy and more of a healthy option. However, I had to change that this week and do something different.Tom and I are terrible at keeping our kitchen cupboards tidy. We tend to just ram it in and just buy something we need rather than looking to see if we have any in the cupboard already. I tidied all the kitchen on Monday and found some harissa paste that we had left over from an event in the summer. I’ve never eaten it before so didn’t actually know what it tasted like, but it was so so good. I made a really simple sauce to go with it using Philadelphia and some veg we had in the fridge to use up. It was super tasty and we both really enjoyed having something different.This recipe is enough for 2 people.Prep time – 10 minutes.Cooking time – 30 minutes.
- 1 salmon fillet per person.
- 2 lemons – zest and juice.
- 1 jar of harissa paste.
- 100g pasta per person.
- 1 red onion diced.
- 1 yellow pepper diced.
- 1 tsp lazy garlic.
- 1 red chilli diced.
- 2 spring onions sliced.
- 2 tbsp garlic and herb philadelphia.
- 2 tbsp tomato puree.
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar.
- Salt and pepper.
- 1 tsp smoked paprika.
- Turn your grill on to pre-heat it.
- Marinate the salmon in the juice and zest of one lemon and half of the harissa paste. Season with salt and pepper before setting to one side.
- Put some water on to boil for the pasta.
- In a saucepan, heat some oil up on a medium heat and fry off the onion, garlic and pepper. Cook gently for 10 minutes.
- Add the chilli, rest of the lemon juice and zest, puree, balsamic vinegar, paprika and season with salt and pepper.
- In the meantime, add the pasta to the boiling water and cook for 10 minutes.
- Put some oil in a small frying pan, allow to get hot and add the salmon, skin side down. Cook for 3 minutes before finishing under the grill. Cook under the grill for 10 minutes.
- When the pasta is cooked, before draining, add two large spoons of water to the vegetables. Stir thoroughly.
- Stir through the Philadelphia and remove from the heat.
- Serve in bowls with the salmon on top and garnish with the sliced spring onions.