Now, I don’t know abut you but I struggle to think of new things to cook during the week that will be tasty and quick to do. It soon becomes monotonous eating the same meals, just because they are convenient and don’t cost an arm and a leg to create. I don’t often have pasta because I find it bloats me out quite a lot, however, tonight I decided to try something a bit different. I bought some cream cheese last week and I knew unless I used it this week, it would just sit in the fridge for weeks until I chucked it away. So tonight, I thought I would use up some squid that was in the freezer (but you could have it with anything) and make a nice tomato and chorizo sauce with some cream cheese added to give it that creaminess but without making it too rich. It is the first time I have used sundried tomatoes in a dish and stirring cream cheese through a sauce and it was delicious! Something I am definitely going to do again.
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 30 minutes
- 1 red onion diced.
- 1 green pepper diced.
- 2 garlic cloves finely chopped.
- 1 red chilli finely chopped.
- 150g chorizo diced.
- 1/4 jar of sundried tomatoes roughly chopped.
- 1 tin of chopped tomatoes.
- 1 glass of white wine.
- Handful fresh basil finely chopped.
- 1 tablespoon cream cheese (I had garlic and herb which complemented the sauce very well).
- Salt and pepper to season.
- 1 teaspoon dried mixed herbs.
- 100g pasta per person.
- Fry off the chorizo for 2 minutes, then remove from the pan.
- Using the chorizo oil, fry off the onion, garlic, chilli and pepper. Sweat for 5 minutes.
- Season the veg with salt and pepper.
- Add the wine and simmer for 5 minutes or until reduced.
- Add the sundried tomatoes, chorizo and chopped tomatoes to the pan. Mix in the dried herbs and leave to simmer.
- In the meantime, put some water on to boil for the pasta.
- About 5 minutes before the end of cooking, add the fresh basil.
- 2 minutes before you serve, stir through the cream cheese. This is also when I added my squid as it was the right amount of time to cook it through and for it to still be tender.
- Drain the pasta and stir through the sauce in the pan.
- Serve with fresh parmesan sprinkled on the top.